Optimum Voice Security Notification for Customers
In an effort to provide the best possible customer service, we want to alert you of a potential virus or phishing web site that may have corrupted your Optimum Voice settings. Customers have recently reported that inbound calls to their Optimum Voice number were forwarded to a nonworking telephone number without their authorization.
Upon further investigation, we believe that the call-forwarding feature might have been activated as a result of an unidentified internet software virus or a phishing website that has possibly infected your computer. We believe, but are not certain, your Optimum ID and password may have been captured by either a keystroke recording virus or a phishing website.
We are actively monitoring this unauthorized activity and we ask that you check your call forwarding feature by logging on to Optimum Voice Homepage to ensure it is set properly. If you find that call forwarding has been set without your consent, you might have been affected by a virus or phishing site and we recommend you either disable the call-forwarding feature from your Optimum Voice number or change the call forwarding to a number that you want calls forwarded to. Also, we urge you to:
- Look into whether there may be any viruses or malicious programs on your computer and take the necessary steps to remove them.
- Change your password to the Optimum Voice Homepage either after you clean your computer, or from a different computer.
- Be aware of emails that direct you to a web site which solicits your personal information such as User ID and password. (see security message)
- Consider whether you use the same password on other sites and whether those passwords should be changed as well.
More information about ways to secure your computer from Internet viruses and steps you can take to prevent future infections are included below.
- The CA Internet Security Suite is available free of charge for Optimum Online Customers at:
- Microsoft Windows based PC’s should be updated with the most recent MS Windows patches and it’s recommended to configure MS Windows to automatically download and install future software updates.
- Additional Internet Security Resources from Total Defense:
If you have any questions about your Optimum Voice account, please contact us by dialing 611 from your Optimum Voice phone.
The Tech Addict lives here.
Follow me on Twitter
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/content/r/i/c/rickyfr2/html/blog/wp-content/plugins/wordtwit/html/twitter.php on line 4